The original game The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim was released in 2011 and it won the hearts of gamers all around the globe. The developers, Bethesda Game Studios released Skyrim VR in 2017. Not only can you virtually experience the world of Skyrim now, but you can also enhance it with add-ons. Here is how to install Skyrim VR mods to make it even more fantastic.
Minimum System Requirements
The Skyrim VR was initially released for PlayStation (PS) only. You can play it on your PS4 as long as you have PSVR goggles and PS Camera (must-have). It is now also available for PC, but there are some minimum requirements for the game to function properly:
- Operating System: Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit versions)
- Processor: Intel Core i5-6600K or AMD Ryzen 5 1400 or better
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 / AMD RX 480 8GB or better
- Storage: 15 GB available space
Installation Method for PC
If you are a PC user and ask the official developers ‘can you mod Skyrim VR’, the answer you will get is ‘no’. Bethesda does not yet provide official Skyrim VR mod support for PC. This also means that any mod requiring Skyrim VR Script Extender (SKSE) will not work.
However, there are several user-generated modifications (not requiring SKSE) out there for better graphics and sound, additional material and mechanisms, enhanced gameplay, and other content to improve your gaming experience.
There are a few things you need to do, so read through carefully. Here is how to get Skyrim VR PC mods:
Step 1 – Enable mods
Follow these steps to enable modifications to your game:
- Before you start, launch Skyrim and make sure it is running properly. Working OK? Now close it. (This is important because there have been cases when Skyrim VR won't launch, and that makes this whole process quite pointless.)
- On your computer, go to Documents, and then My Games and then Skyrim VR. Here, find and open the SkyrimPerfs.ini document.
- At the bottom, add the following (exactly in this order – one below the other):
- Then save it.
Step 2 – Download Nexus Mod Manager (NMM)
You will need this mod manager to organize and keep track of your mods. Follow these steps:
- Go to the Nexus mods website and register for a free account.
- Then download and install the Nexus Mod Manager (NMM) to your PC.
- When the download is complete, go to the file location, find the file and the “run as Administrator”.
- When it starts, you will see an auto search will have started, stop it by pressing “stop searching” at the bottom right of the screen.
- Find the writing ‘Skyrim Special Edition’. Right below that, you will see an option “…” written vertically – click it.
- Then select this folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SkyrimVR\
- You may see a dialog box saying it is not the correct file path – ignore that.
- You will see a little checkmark above – click it. You may see a warning – ‘could not find .exe’ – you can ignore that.
Step 3 – Install the mods
- You can search for mods in the NMM database for Skyrim Special Edition (SE) and download whichever ones you want. Just choose the files and download them on your PC.
- Once the downloads are complete, open the NMM and click on the Mods tab. Just double-click on the mods to install them. The ones that have been installed will have a green check sign beside.
- Next, navigate to this address: C:\users\appdata\local\Skyrim Special Edition.
- Find the file ‘plugins.txt’ – copy it.
- Now to go to C:\users\appdata\local\Skyrim VR, and paste the file. If you see a message that a file with the same name already exists – click “replace existing file”.
Your mods will be installed, and then all you have to do is launch the game and enjoy!
Step 4 – Load Order (this step is Optional, but Recommended)
You get the option to select the order in which the mods will load in the game in your PS. For a PC, you have to download another application for that too. Follow these steps:
- First, you will need to download LOOT (Load Order Optimization Tool) from the website.
- Then click on Lootinstaller.exe and download it.
- Once downloaded, install the tool.
- Next, on your computer, go to this address: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SkyrimVR
- Find a file named ‘SkyrimVR.exe’ – copy and paste it in the same folder. Then rename the copied file as ‘SkyrimSE.exe’.
- Then run LOOT.
- Next, you will find the option for Settings on the top right that looks like “…” written vertically – click on it.
- It is a drop-down menu, so you will see several options. Find the row with Skyrim: Special Edition. Then click on the ‘install path’ and change it to this: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SkyrimVR
- You may need to restart the program for the changes to work. Restart LOOT.
- When you open it again, you will be able to see all your mods on the left. They will be organized in the current order.
- On the top right, there is a “list” icon – click that, and then you can change the order of the mods.
- Once you have made changes, you will see “apply” in place of the “list” icon. Click “apply”.
You can set the order to your personal preference, but it is best to put graphics mods on top, and the ones with large-sized files.
You do not necessarily need this tool for your mods to work. It helps if the mods are organized and do not conflict with one another so that your game loads smoothly. This tool will also let you know if any of the mods are misbehaving or if you might need a bug fix.
Installation Method for PS
Unlike the PC version, some Skyrim PSVR mods are available on the website and are easy to install. Follow these steps:
Step 1 – Log in
Sign in to your Bethesda account. (You cannot play Skyrim on PlayStation without the Bethesda account, so you must already have one.)
Step 2 – Search
- You will find a list of Featured mods above your Library. You can either pick from there or manually search for one.
- You can search for a specific mod you want with the specific name or search for types, for example, you can type “graphics” and you will see a list of mods available.
Step 3 – Download and Install
- Select your preferred mod and select “download” from the menu.
- Once it has been downloaded, go to your Library.
- Find the downloaded mod, select it and then select “enable” from the options on the left.
- Under the list of installed mods, you will see and options for “load order”. You can use this option to select in what order the mods will load. Graphics mods or other large mods are often listed first.
After you have downloaded and enabled new mods, restart the device. This is needed for the system to add the mods to your game.
Your system specifications also decide which mods will or won’t work with your PC. So, do check compatibility with your computer before installing the mods. Although these are not traditional methods, none of the steps in the process or the programs used will harm your PC (no complaints have been reported yet).
This game’s popularity is still going strong. This means you can expect more modifications to be available in the future, and probably also with support from Bethesda. The game is pretty awesome as it is, but just a few Skyrim VR tweaks can make you love it even more.