Most phones these days come with a non-removable battery or uni-body design. This makes it hard to fix or replace any one specific component. In the midst of these, the Moto E4 surprised us with its removable battery in 2017. Although that only solves hardware issues. You can factory reset Moto E4 and fix several software problems.
Do you need to reset it?
Software issues come in various types and sizes. If your Moto E4 keeps restarting, that is probably a sign. You don’t need to replace your battery or rush to the store for every small issue. Most of them can be solved at home. Some of these issues have been reported with the Moto E4:
- Bluetooth connectivity issues
- Wi-Fi connectivity issues
- SIM card not detected
- Lagging issues
- Apps stop abruptly
- Screen freezes
If you’re facing any of the above issues, first make sure your system and other apps are updated. If the problems persist, try resetting your phone. There are a few ways to go about it. These methods will also give you an idea of how to reset Motorola phones in general.
Method 1 – Soft Reset
This method refers to simply restarting the device. It works only in the following scenarios – if an app stops while loading, your screen has frozen or is not responding. Here’s what you can do:
- Press and hold the Power button.
- When you see the options, tap “Power Off”.
- Since the Moto E4 comes with a removable battery, you can take off the back cover and remove the battery once the phone has turned off.
- Put the battery back in after a few seconds and start the phone again.
Method 2 – Factory Reset
This is an easy and simple method you can use to fix most of the app-related issues or other minor glitches like connectivity or lagging issues. This method erases your data. So you can also use this if you are giving your device away or selling it. This method only works when your phone screen is working. Follow these steps:
- On your phone, go to Settings.
- Scroll down and find the option that says “Backup & Reset”.
- Tap on it and you will find another list.
- You will see an option that says “Back up my data”. You can tap on that and set up your Google account to back up any data you want to keep from your phone. If you do not want to keep anything, ignore this step.
- On the list, you will the option for “Factory data reset”. Tap on it.
- Read the information – It will tell you what happens in a factory reset. Then press “reset phone”.
- You will be asked for confirmation again. Press “erase everything” to confirm.
Give it some time and your phone will perform the reset and restart itself. When it starts up, all data will have been erased and everything will be back to default settings.
Method 3 – Hard Reset
This is a slightly more complex method, but it’s very effective. This is a good solution if your phone screen has frozen or you have forgotten your password. This will also reset your phone, so you will lose your data.
Unfortunately, you will not have the option to back up any data while performing this reset, so you might want to do it beforehand. You can also use this method to hard reset Moto E4 Plus. Here are the steps to follow:
- Press and hold the Power button to switch off your phone.
- Next, press and hold the Volume Down buttons for a few seconds.
- Keeping your hold, press, and hold the Power button.
- In a few short seconds, the Boot Mode will show on the screen. When you see it, release both buttons.
- On this screen, use the Volume Up and Down button to navigate and the Power button to make any selections. Highlight the Recovery option and select it using the Power button.
- You will see the Android logo pop up. When it appears, press and hold the Power key for a few seconds.
- Keeping your hold, press the Volume Up key. You will see a list of options. (If it does not appear, try it a second time).
- Use the Volume Down key to navigate down to the “wipe data/factory reset option”.
- You will be asked for confirmation. Use the Volume buttons to highlight “Yes – delete all user data” and select it.
- You will be taken to another list of options. Then select “reboot system now”.
Give your device a few minutes. The data will on your phone will be erased and it will restart on its own. Do not interrupt the process. When the phone starts again, it will ask you to set up the same way it did the very first time. Any passwords or locks will have been deactivated.
When you reset a phone, you can also remove a lot of temporary and unnecessary data that clog up your memory. Hence, more often than not, a reset can help you with lagging problems.
The Moto E4 and E4 Plus are great budget devices. However, they do not have the most advanced software. The hard reset can help with a lot of issues, but if you continue to face any battery draining issues, you can always replace it. If performing a reset does not bring any changes to your device, you may have a hardware problem.